Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Our Industry

This week, the journalism industry took another big hit. Certain papers have decided to decrease their circulation or even go to online only. This is just another casualty of the economy. This is probably the third or fourth time this semester where we discussed a topic that makes me question why I am going into journalism. Why am I going into journalism? Is it because I have the need to know things? Is it because I want to be underpaid? Is it because I want to do sports writing? The fact is I am not sure. I'm sure I am not alone on this case.

It is hard for a 21-year-old to figure out what he is going to do with the rest of his life.
I think we need to discuss more positive issues in class. We should be talking about why journalism is such a great career. We should talk about how important our future jobs are. Let’s be optimistic for a change.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, class gets so depressing sometimes. I wish that we could concentrate sometimes on other journalism-related career options so that we don't feel like we are wasting our degrees or headed towards unemployment before we even have a chance. This isn't to say that there is no way we can get a job as a reporter or editor, but the chances are getting slimmer by the day. Obviously journalism is something that we like (I hope) so it'd be nice to see it applied in other important and/or relevant ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, things can't all be bad! While there's a lot less jobs available, I think that this is going to be an exciting time to be a journalist - we're entering a new era of online and multimedia coverage as well as reporting through things like smartphones and readers. We're going to be the generation that sets the NEW rules.

    ReplyDelete